Lares Trek & Tour
Experience a little bit of everything the Cuzco region has to offer on this 8-Day Lares Trek & Tour. You’ll discover the fascinating pre-Columbian and colonial history of Cuzco, jewel of the Andes, before immersing yourself in the ancient lifestyle of the Lares region on a three-day trek through spectacular Andean scenery and centuries-old communities. Top it off with a comfortable visit to Machu Picchu and a private guided tour of the Incas’ crowning achievement. You’ll stay in luxury hotels and camp and trek in comfort, with expert guides catering for your every whim.
Choose Your Adventure
Decide where, when and how you want to explore. Then contact us to start planning with a destination expert.
Customize Your Tour
We'll blend your desires with expert, local knowledge to design a seamless, private tour.
Embark on Your Journey
We'll greet you at the airport and be by your side every step of the way, making room for spontaneity as you go.
Starting from $3,290 per person
Pricing includes everything from your international arrival to your departure, with the exception of flights and a few lunches and dinners.
- Start with a free day to acclimatize to the altitude and explore Cuzco at your leisure.
- Take a fascinating tour of Cuzco with visits to the mighty fortress of Sacsayhuaman, the Koricancha and the city’s cathedral.
- Three days of exhilarating trekking through varied landscapes and cultures in a region blessed by little tourist pressure.
- Camp in ultimate comfort and warmth, with quality sleeping bags and Therm-a-Rest sleeping mats in your spacious two-man tent.
- Visit the tiny textile-producing villages of Huacahuasi and Patacancha, to learn about their craft and way of life.
- Traverse spectacular high-altitude passes, dramatic snowmelt lakes and explore the little-visited Inca ruins of Pumamarka.
- Enjoy three hearty meals a day and rely on porters to carry your kit. You'll even have the use of a private tented bathroom in the campsite.
- Stay overnight in comfort in Aguas Calientes to beat the crowds to Machu Pichhu the next morning.
- Enjoy a guided tour of Machu Picchu, the ‘lost city of the Incas’, with free time to explore the remarkable citadel for yourself.
- Time allowing, take in a fascinating tour of Lima, with stops at the Larco Archaeological Museum, the San Francisco Monastery and Aliaga House.
TALK WITH A DESTINATION EXPERT
We tailor itineraries to your dates and interests, adjusting hotels, excursions and length as desired.
We consistently receive 5 star reviews from our discerning clients.
In the morning you will just need to walk back across the street to check in for your flight to Cuzco, the capital city of the former Inca Empire. Upon arrival in Cuzco, you'll be met at the airport by your guide and driver and escorted to your Cuzco hotel. Since you're going from sea level to 11,500 feet, you will want to spend today slowly adjusting to your new beautiful but literally breath-taking surroundings. Cuzco is one of the most charming towns in all of South America, and extremely pedestrian and visitor friendly.
During your tour of Cuzco, the capital of the Incan Empire, you'll visit Sacsayhuaman, an immense Incan complex with impressive stonework; Koricancha, one of the most important Incan temples (the walls were once actually coated in gold!); and Cuzco's Cathedral where you'll learn about the Cuzco School of Art.
Heading out early from your Cuzco hotel, you will be driven 4.5 hours through the Sacred Valley to the village of Lares, where you can enjoy the local hot springs and lunch. You will then hike 3.5 hours to Huacahuasi (12,300 ft), your campsite for the evening. In the afternoon, you can meet some of the locals and observe their traditional weaving techniques.
Rising early, you will start the ascent to the Ipsayccasa Pass; at 14,600 feet this is the highest point of the trek. Take in the breathtaking views of Mount Veronica and the surrounding snow-capped peaks. Continue downhill to Ipsaycocha Lake for lunch where you can usually see Andean geese. Afterwards you’ll visit Patacancha Town (12,300 ft), a textile community where Quechua is still spoken today.
In the morning you'll continue downhill through gorgeous valley to Pumamarka, an important archeological Inca site, then board the train to the Inca town of Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley. Enjoy a stroll around the traditional Andean town, and board your train to Aguas Calientes (6,730 ft), located at the base of Machu Picchu, where your hotel awaits you.
Uncover the secrets of Machu Picchu during a guided tour of this Incan citadel. You'll visit the most important parts of the ruins to learn how and why they were constructed. After the tour, you'll have time to further explore the ruins or sit back and enjoy the magic of Machu Picchu. Departing from Machu Picchu town, enjoy a train ride to Cuzco. Upon arrival at the train station you will be met and transferred to your Cuzco hotel.
You will be picked up from your hotel and driven to the Cuzco airport for your flight to Lima. Optional upgrade before international flight home: take a Private Lima City Tour which includes visits to the historical center, the Larco Archeology Museum and Casa Aliaga, the longest continually-owned colonial home in the Americas.
Classic Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
We will start early in the morning going down the trail hiking for 3 hours until reaching Wiñaywayna at 8,856 feet, the main archaeological site after …
Starting from $3,290 per person
Inca Trail Choquechaca to Machu Picchu Trek
The 8-Day Inca Trail Choquechaca to Machu Picchu Trek is a unique and authentic experience developed by SA Expeditions in conjunction with the people of …
Starting from $3,990 per person
Great Inca Trail to Huanuco Pampa
Indulge in the adventure of a lifetime when you hike a pristine section of the Great Inca Trail, a 25,000-mile road network widely regarded as one of the …
Starting from $3,790 per person