Inca Trail Choquechaca to Machu Picchu Trek
The 9-Day Inca Trail Choquechaca to Machu Picchu Trek is a unique and authentic experience developed by SA Expeditions in conjunction with the people of the Choquechaca Valley who have become integral partners in our company's journey. You’ll trek through remote and pristine landscapes accompanied by the people who have lived there for centuries, camp in spectacular locations and visit your guides’ ancestral village and meet their families. What’s more, you’ll enjoy a guided tour of Machu Picchu after arriving triumphantly on-foot, and spend a few days exploring Cuzco and imbibing its intoxicating blend of Spanish and pre-Colombian history.
Choose Your Adventure
Decide where, when and how you want to explore. Then contact us to start planning with a destination expert.
Customize Your Tour
We'll blend your desires with expert, local knowledge to design a seamless, private tour.
Embark on Your Journey
We'll greet you at the airport and be by your side every step of the way, making room for spontaneity as you go.
Starting from $3,990 per person
Pricing includes everything from your international arrival to your departure, with the exception of flights and a few lunches and dinners.
- Wander the winding streets of Cuzco, the one-time capital of the Inca empire, and revel in the city’s Incan and colonial heritage.
- Enjoy a guided tour of the imposing ancient Incan temples of Sacsayhuaman and Koricancha, to discover the history and might of the lost empire.
- Embark upon three days of privately guided trekking in a remote corner of the Andes which very few Westerners ever see.
- Hike with the residents of a remote Andean village that you’ll visit en route. Meet their wives and families and learn about their proud weaving tradition.
- Camp next to the spectacularly beautiful Azul Cocha (Blue Lake) and enjoy a celestial star-show before retiring for the night.
- Camp in ultimate comfort and warmth, with quality sleeping bags and Therm-a-Rest sleeping mats in your spacious two-man tent.
- Delight in four wholesome meals (our afternoon teas are legendary) every day and make use of a private tented bathroom.
- Hike a lesser-known part of the historic Inca Trail to Machu Picchu, arriving on-foot after passing through the spectacular Winay Wayna archaeological site.
- Discover the “lost city of the Incas” on a private, guided tour of Machu Picchu, where you’ll drink in the mesmerizing views and learn how the temples were built.
- If time allows, take a private tour of the main sites of Lima, including the Larco Museum, the San Francisco Monastery and Lima’s historic squares.
TALK WITH A DESTINATION EXPERT
We tailor itineraries to your dates and interests, adjusting hotels, excursions and length as desired.
We consistently receive 5 star reviews from our discerning clients.
In the morning you will just need to walk back across the street to check in for your flight to Cuzco, the capital city of the former Inca Empire. Upon arrival in Cuzco, you'll be met at the airport by your guide and driver and escorted to your Cuzco hotel. Since you're going from sea level to 11,500 feet, you will want to spend today slowly adjusting to your new beautiful but literally breath-taking surroundings. Cuzco is one of the most charming towns in all of South America, and extremely pedestrian and visitor friendly.
During your tour of Cuzco, you'll visit Sacsayhuaman, an immense Incan complex with impressive stonework; Koricancha, one of the most important Incan temples (the walls were once actually coated in gold!); and Cuzco's Cathedral where you'll learn about the Cuzco School of Art.
Heading out early from your Cuzco hotel, you will be driven to the village of Patacancha, where you will begin your trek. You will quickly become immersed into the Andean world passing through a stunning valley with ancient Andean cultures dispersed among the plateaus. You will eventually arrive to Azul Cocha (Blue lake) your camp for the evening where you will have a delicious lunch and dinner and spend the afternoon enjoying the lake and scenery.
Today is the most challenging portion of the trail. You will climb to the Halancoma Pass (more than 14,000 feet above sea level) before descending into the Choquechaca valley following the Yuroq Mayu (White River) and eventually arriving to a high valley plateau which is both your camp for the evening and the home of your Andean support team. Following a delicious lunch, you will meet the families of your Andean hosts, experiencing ancient textile practices of the region with the wives and daughters of your local guides and horsemen.
After breakfast, you will spend the morning descending to the Inca citadel of Pumamarka. These rarely visited ruins are perched high over the village of Pallacta with stunning views. After lunch below the ruins, you will go by vehicle to the Sacred Valley where your hotel awaits you.
In the morning, you'll journey by train to KM104, where you'll begin hiking along the rail line. You will first approach Chachabamba at 7,380 feet and then will gradually ascend for approximately three hours, towards the fascinating archaeological Wiñay Wayna at 8,690 feet. After lunch, you will continue through the semi-tropical forest towards Intipunku (the Sun Gate), where you will enjoy your first panoramic view of Machu Picchu. Spend the evening relaxing in your hotel, readying yourself for more extensive explorations tomorrow.
Today you will uncover the secrets of Machu Picchu during a guided tour of the Incan citadel. You'll visit the most important parts of the ruins to learn how and why they were constructed. Optional upgrade: 2-3hr Huayna Picchu hike. Then you'll depart from Machu Picchu town, and take a train ride to Ollantaytambo. Upon arrival at the train station you will be met and transferred to your Cuzco hotel.
One of our representatives will pick you up from your hotel and drive you to the Cuzco airport for your flight to Lima.
Salkantay Trek to Machu Picchu
Trek to Machu Picchu by going “off the beaten Inca Trail” on the exotic Salkantay Trek. Described by National Geographic as “the cool way” to get to the …
Starting from $3,290 per person
Lares Trek & Tour
Experience a little bit of everything the Cuzco region has to offer on this 8-Day Lares Trek & Tour. You’ll discover the fascinating pre-Columbian and …
Starting from $3,290 per person
Great Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
Experience two of the Incas’ greatest accomplishments on this 12-day Great Inca Trail and Machu Picchu tour. First, follow in the footsteps of the Incas …
Starting from $4,990 per person