Machu Picchu & Andean Highlights
This 12-Day Andean Highlights and Machu Picchu tour gives you the opportunity to take in the best that the Peruvian highlands have to offer. You’ll explore Arequipa, the city built from volcanic ash, then travel through the Colca Canyon to see the majestic condor soar against breath-taking Andean landscapes. You’ll experience island hopping Peruvian style on Lake Titicaca before topping it all off with luxury tours of the Incan heartland, visiting Machu Picchu, Cuzco and the Sacred Valley.
Starting from $3,690 per person
Pricing includes everything from your international arrival to your departure, with the exception of flights and a few lunches and dinners.
HOW IT WORKS
- Free time to explore Arequipa, Peru, the city built from volcanic ash, filled with interesting cultural experiences, cafes and restaurants.
- Discover Arequipa, with visits to the Santa Catalina Monastery and the Plaza de Armas, and free time to visit Juanita the Ice Maiden, one of the world’s best-preserved mummies.
- Explore the Colca Canyon, with a breath-taking backdrop of volcanoes, to see the preserved Andean culture and look for enormous Andean condors.
- Visit the floating island of Uros on Lake Titicaca, where everything from houses to boats is made from reeds.
- An overnight stay in an eco-lodge on the private island of Isla Suasi where you can soak up the serenity and isolation of island life.
- Discover the wonders of Cuzco on a private half-day tour, stopping at Sacsayhuaman, an immense Incan complex with impressive stonework, Koricancha, one of the most important Incan temples, and Cuzco's Cathedral where you'll learn about the Cuzco school of art.
- Take in the scenic Sacred Valley, with stops at the ancient circular agricultural terraces of Moray, the salt mines at Maras, and the ruins and village of Ollantaytambo.
- Uncover the secrets of awe-inspiring Machu Picchu during a guided tour of this Incan citadel. After the tour, you'll have time to further explore the ruins or hike to the top of Huayna Picchu for a bird's eye view of the citadel.
- Depending on the time of your flight out, take a private tour of Lima's key sites including the Larco Archaeological Museum, the San Francisco Monastery and its catacombs, Lima’s historic colonial squares, and the picturesque waterfront district Miraflores.
Arequipa, the city built from volcanic ash, has some fantastic cafes, and the year-round sunshine makes it very tempting to linger. In the evening, we suggest you take a relaxing stroll around the Plaza de Armas and savor some tasty Arequipeña cuisine at one of our recommended restaurants.
Enjoy a half-day Arequipa tour, allowing you to fully appreciate why many consider this to be the most beautiful city in all of Peru. Key sights include the Santa Catalina Monastery where nuns lived in seclusion for 400 years and the Plaza de Armas. Then head back to your hotel or continue across the plaza independently to visit the museum that houses the world's best-preserved mummies, including the Juanita the Ice Maiden.
Early in the morning, you will depart for the Colca Canyon, the second deepest canyon in the world, where Andean culture has preserved its way of life for hundreds of years. Majestic volcanoes form the backdrop of the alpine landscape as you venture into this breath-taking valley.
As the sun is rising over the canyon you will take off for the Cruz del Condor, a fantastic outlook point where you stand the best chance of viewing the Andean condor. To see groups of these enormous birds with 10-foot wingspans glide by at such close range is unforgettable. Continuing the journey to Puno, you will arrive at your hotel on the banks of Lake Titicaca by evening.
Today you will experience the azure waters of Lake Titicaca. The first stop will be the floating islands of Uros where local families build not just their houses but also boats and whole islands out of reeds. Then you'll briefly visit the island of Taquile en route to the private island of Isla Suasi, where you will spend the night in an eco-lodge.
Wake up to the soothing isolation of island life. You'll spend a relaxing day exploring this windswept landscape, meandering along paths, and perhaps wandering along the shore in a canoe. This inclusive resort includes all your meals, so you'll enjoy a hearty Andean lunch before traveling by boat back to the mainland.
During your tour of Cuzco, the capital of the Incan Empire, you'll visit Sacsayhuaman, an immense Incan complex with impressive stonework, Koricancha, one of the most important Incan temples (the walls were once actually coated in gold!), and Cuzco's Cathedral where you'll learn about the Cuzco school of art.
Your Sacred Valley tour will include visits to the ancient circular agricultural terraces of Moray, the salt mines at Maras, and the ruins and village of Ollantaytambo. You’ll depart from Ollantaytambo, on a scenic train ride through the Sacred Valley to the town of Machu Picchu where you will stay in your hotel at Aguas Calientes.
Uncover the secrets of awe-inspiring Machu Picchu during a guided tour of this Incan citadel. You'll visit the most important parts of the ruins to learn how and why they were constructed. After the tour, you'll have time to further explore the ruins or sit back and enjoy the magic of Machu Picchu. You can also hike to the top of Huayna Picchu for a bird's eye view of the ruins. The steep path takes about an hour and a half to ascend. Departing from Machu Picchu town, enjoy a train ride to Ollantaytambo. Upon arrival at the train station you will be met and transferred to your Cuzco hotel.
You will be picked up from your hotel and driven to the Cuzco airport for your flight to Lima. (Optional recommended excursion) - Depending on the time of your international flight out a private tour of Lima's key sites can be arranged. You will visit the Larco Archaeological Museum, the San Francisco Monastery and its catacombs, Lima's historic colonial squares, and the picturesque waterfront district Miraflores.
Machu Picchu & Amazon
Combine the biodiverse splendor of the Amazon basin with the wondrous Incan history of Machu Picchu and the Sacred Valley. Explore the Amazon river …
Starting from $2,990 per person
Uyuni Salt Flats & Andean Highlights
Experience the best of the Andean highlands on this 11-day Uyuni and Andes Tour, travelling from Bolivia’s capital La Paz to the otherworldly Uyuni Salt …
Starting from $5,990 per person
Great Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
Experience two of the Incas’ greatest accomplishments on this 12-day Great Inca Trail and Machu Picchu tour. First, follow in the footsteps of the Incas …
Starting from $4,990 per person