North Coast Redwoods and Wine Country
Experience the incredible exotic variety of the Northern stretch of California’s famous Pacific Coast Highway on this 7 day North Coast Redwoods and Wine Country self-drive expedition. First, get to to know San Francisco like a local, scratching the surface of her quirky ’hoods, cycling across the Golden Gate Bridge, and taking a sunset cruise on the Bay. Then, spend three days exploring the rugged Pacific Coast and its humbling, majestic Giant Redwood Groves, the world’s only temperate rainforest. Top it all off with a couple of days drinking in everything the picturesque Wine Country has to offer. Soar over serene rolling hills spotted with vineyards on a sunrise hot air balloon ride, and top it off with visits to some of the finest estates in Napa and Sonoma, or a tour of the region’s world-class craft breweries.
Starting from $3,290 per person
Pricing includes everything from your international arrival to your departure, with the exception of flights and a few lunches and dinners.
HOW IT WORKS
- Explore San Francisco in the company of a local expert, eating and drinking in under-the-radar spots and walking the streets of Little Italy, Chinatown, and the Marina.
- Experience the best of the San Francisco Bay by first cycling across the iconic Golden Gate Bridge and then returning to the city on a once-in-a-lifetime sunset cruise.
- Enjoy the freedom that comes with having your own rental car and the benefits of being shown arround each destination by a local expert (we call them ‘docents’) who knows the place inside out.
- Get up close and personal with California’s Giant Redwoods, the tallest trees on the planet and the world’s only temeperate rainforest. Be awed by these primordial giants at Muir Woods, Mendocino and Big Hendy Grove.
- Soar over wine country in style on a hot air balloon ride, drinking in the beauty of the region before imbibing the best local libations available.
- Indulge in unforgettable farm-to-fork dining at River’s End B&B, aboard the elegant Napa Valley Wine Train, and with a gourmet chef-prepared picnic on the bluffs of Mendocino.
- Drink in everything the wine country has to offer, with sommelier-led tours of understated Sonoma and trendy Napa. With an incredible array of wineries and dining experiences, our advice is to simply follow your nose.
- An optional 5-day extension exploring the 1849 Gold Rush towns of the Sierra Foothills, digging into the Golden State’s frontier past and exploring majestic Lake Tahoe.
Welcome to California! Today is a transit day. After your plane glides in over the waters of the San Francisco Bay, you will take a shuttle to claim your rental car before driving into the City by the Bay. Take the afternoon to explore or relax in your iconic SF Hotel. After a delicious dinner, rest up for the adventure to come or hit the town to experience some of San Francisco’s famous nightlife.
Today you will enjoy a guided exploration of evocative San Francisco. Begin with a tour of the city’s iconic neighborhoods: Little Italy, Chinatown, and the Marina. After lunch, walk or bike across the Golden Gate Bridge to the upscale port town of Sausalito before returning to the city on an unforgettable sunset cruise across the bay.
Today you’ll embark upon your exploration of the famous Highway 1 along the Pacific Coast. After crossing the Golden Gate Bridge, we recommend pausing for a photo at the Marin Headlands which enjoy timeless views across the bridge of the San Francisco Bay. Next, check out the Muir Woods for first glimpse of California’s famous Giant Redwood trees. Continuing up the coast arrive to Hog Island Oyster Company for a fresh seafood lunch. Enjoy an optional tour of the farm or continue to explore the charming town of Jenner by the Sea. Top it all off with a world-class dining experience at the famous River’s End – your beautiful coastal B&B with views of both the Russian River and the Pacific Ocean.
After breakfast, enjoy a leisurely drive along the secluded coastal highway north of Bodega Bay, surrounded on all sides by the towering redwoods of Mendocino. Upon arrival at Mendocino’s windswept, ocean-facing bluffs, you’ll meet with a local guide and chef who will treat you to an organic picnic meal on the sea cliffs. Next you'll embark upon a short walking tour through town, featuring the area's local history ranging from lumberjacks and fishermen through to 60's counterculture and modern-day artisans. For the remainder of the afternoon and evening, take a relaxing walk along the coast, or enjoy a spa treatment in your beautiful seaside hotel.
Today you’ll bid the Pacific coast farewell, passing through the redwoods along rural Highway 128. We suggest a stop at Big Hendy Grove, an accessible and little-visited old-growth redwood grove just off the highway. Continue to Sonoma County, home to many of California’s famous wineries and craft breweries. Enjoy a private tour at any of our boutique family wineries or local craft breweries before retiring to one of Sonoma County’s intimate locally run bed and breakfasts.
Today begins with a dreamy sunrise ride in a hot air balloon, watching the mists rise over the rows of vines. After touchdown, your local sommelier docent will take you on a once-in-a-lifetime tour of Napa Valley’s world-famous wineries. Begin with a ride aboard the Napa Valley Wine Train (complete with a gourmet lunch) before enjoying private tastings at whichever boutique wineries take your fancy. Private vehicles with drivers are available to allow you to fully enjoy the best of California wine worry-free. End the day at a boutique bed and breakfast for a farm-to-fork dining experience that highlights the best flavors of wine country.
Enjoy a relaxing morning in wine country before heading back to San Francisco to depart. Alternatively, extend your adventure by making the drive into the Sierra Foothills for an old-time adventure through the saloons and stagecoaches of Gold Country!
Pacific Coast Highway Adventure
Traverse breathtaking seaside cliffs and charming coastal hamlets on this 8-day Pacific Coast Highway Adventure along one of America’s most fabled roads. …
Starting from $3,490 per person
Sierra Foothills and Gold Country
Dig into California’s fascinating 1849 Gold Rush history on this 5 day, self-drive Sierra Foothills and Gold Country Expedition to Lake Tahoe. Traversing …
Starting from $2,490 per person
North Coast, Wine Country & Gold Country Expedition
Get the best of all worlds on this 11-day North Coast, Wine and Gold Country Expedition to exotic California. After getting to know irresistible San …
Starting from $4,490 per person