Countries open for North American travelers
Last updated: May 18, 2021
The world is gradually beginning to welcome travel again!
Are you asking yourself, "Where can I go?" Are you curious what countries are open for travel?
As the preventative measures surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic continue to evolve, a number of countries are now opening their borders while maintaining safety protocols to contain the spread of the virus. For you to have the safest possible journey, we've compiled a list of countries that are open for travelers from North America and included their basic entry requirements.
As of January 26, 2021, the USA will require proof of a negative COVID-19 test for re-entry to the country regardless of vaccination status; anyone over the age of 2 traveling internationally to the below destinations will need to provide a negative test, taken within 72 hours prior to the flight, before boarding their return flight to the USA. Your Destination Expert will be glad to provide more information.
- Peru Travelers must provide proof of a negative Covid-19 test (either antigen or PCR), issued within 72 hours prior to boarding their flight to Peru. For the remainder of May 2021, all passengers arriving to Peru via Lima's Jorge Chavez airport will need to take an additional antigen test on-site at the airport upon arrival; a negative result on this antigen test will allow entry to the country to begin tourism activities as normal. Beginning June 01, 2021, this test on arrival will no longer be implemented nor enforced.
- Ecuador International arrivals to Ecuador must show either a completed vaccine card or a negative COVID-19 test taken within 10 days before entry will be granted.
- The Galapagos Islands The islands require a negative COVID-19 test taken within 96 hours before entry to the Galapagos Province, for travelers ages 17 and older. Travel insurance is also required for entry to the Galapagos Islands.
- Chile In early April, Chile closed international borders for a period of two months as the country continues its vaccination programs. When borders reopen in June, it is expected that travelers will need to provide a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours before entry, as well as travel insurance.
- Costa Rica Costa Rica welcomes travelers from all countries. No COVID-19 test is required for entry.
- Guatemala A negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours before entry to Guatemala is required for travelers ages 10 and older.
- Panama A negative COVID-19 test taken within 48 hours before entry to Panama is required, and there are additional restrictions for anyone arriving from South America - please speak with your Destination Expert to learn more.
- Mexico No COVID-19 test is required for entry to Mexico.
- Colombia A negative COVID-19 test is required for entry, issued a maximum of 96 hours before your international flight.
- Bolivia Bolivia is open for air travel, however land borders remain closed at the time of writing. A negative COVID-19 test is required (maximum amount of time permitted for negative test depends on country of origin - ask your Destination Expert for more details) and as of April 28, 2021, there is a mandatory 10-day quarantine period for all international arrivals.
- Brazil As of early January 2021, all travelers arriving by air must show a negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours prior to boarding and complete a Traveler's Health Declaration agreeing to comply with national sanitary measures (link to the declaration here - this can be completed digitally or provided as a physical copy to the airline).
- Argentina For the time being, Argentina is only allowing international travelers who are residents of neighboring countries (Chile, Brazil, Bolivia, Paraguay, and Uruguay) to enter through the Buenos Aires Ezeiza Airport, requiring both a negative COVID-19 test and travel insurance. Other international travelers are not yet allowed entry.
- Belize A negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours is required for entry to Belize.
- Honduras A negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours is required for entry to Honduras.
- Nicaragua A negative COVID-19 test taken within 72 hours is required for entry to Nicaragua.
Reach out to a Destination Expert for the most up-to-date information to assist you with any travel questions. Contact us now to start planning your next expedition. Safe travels!
Last updated: May 18, 2021