Uyuni Salt Flats & San Pedro de Atacama
If breath-taking, arid expanses excite you then this 10-day Uyuni to San Pedro de Atacama tour is just the ticket. You will tour the expansive and otherworldly Uyuni Flats in Bolivia in a fully serviced luxury Airstream camper with private staff, then head South to the Atacama Desert, to explore thermal springs and Moon-like landscapes. Finally, you’ll spend three nights in Santiago, the Chilean capital, taking in the sophisticated delights of this cosmopolitan city and its surroundings.
Starting from $6,590 per person
Pricing includes everything from your international arrival to your departure, with the exception of flights and a few lunches and dinners.
HOW IT WORKS
- Spend a day acclimatizing to the altitude in La Paz before embarking on your Uyuni adventure.
- Journey through the alien landscape of the Uyuni Salt Flats in the style and comfort of a luxury Airstream camper, with a private staff and guide to take care of your every need.
- Visit the ghost mining town of Pulacayo and marvel at the riches and despair of Bolivia’s industrial history.
- Have fun taking mind-bending photos against the surreal backdrop of the salt flats, Nature’s answer to the blue screen.
- Enjoy a 4x4 ride to the burial chambers of the Aymara culture of centuries past and visit one of the islands that rise above the salt flats.
- Take a tour to the Salar de Atacama, the largest salt field in Chile.
- See three types of Flamingo at Chaxa Lagoon in the National Flamingo Reserve.
- Float effortlessly in the extremely salty water of the Laguna Cejar.
- Visit the Tatio Geysers, and watch huge steam columns rising nearly 40 feet into the cool morning air. Take a dip if you’re up for it.
- Take another opportunity for a swim in the scenic warm-water pools of the Puritama hot springs.
- Get to know Santiago’s main attractions, including the Plaza de Armas, the main cathedral and the Presidential Palace, on a guided half-day tour of the city.
- Visit two of central Chile’s most popular coastal cities: colorful Valparaiso and tranquil Viña del Mar.
In the morning you will be transferred to the La Paz Airport for your flight to the town of Uyuni. Upon arrival in Uyuni, you will depart with your private guide and driver for the ghost mining town of Pulacayo to step into a world of where you will come to understand the riches and despair of Bolivia's industrial history. Then journey on to the Salt Flats to meet the personal staff of your Airstream camper(s), and enjoy a prepared lunch. The late afternoon and evening will be spent exploring the flats, relaxing, snapping photos and taking in the majesty of this incredible place.
After a hearty breakfast, navigate across the flats to the nearby Tunupa volcano. Here, you will depart on a 4x4 experience to a set of caves that serve as a burial chamber for mummies of the local Aymara culture of centuries past. Following lunch prepared by your personal staff, you will visit one of the cactus-covered islands that rise above the salt flats. The evening is spent enjoying the sunset and a wonderful dinner.
After a hearty breakfast, you will set off south, crossing over the Chilean border and through the vast salt lands to the Atacama Desert, where you’ll spend the next few days exploring. En route, you’ll pass the Laguna Colorada and Laguna Verde. (Note that you will exchange vehicles at the Bolivia-Chile border and will be transferred the rest of the way by your driver only.) Settle in to your lodgings in San Pedro and enjoy a nice dinner.
Today you will head out to the Salar de Atacama, the largest salt field in Chile. This rough, white bed of salt and minerals lies on top of an enormous underground lake. At Chaxa Lagoon, the National Flamingo Reserve, you’ll see three types of Flamingos, the James, the Andean and the Chilean. In the afternoon, you have the option of taking a visit to the Laguna Cejar, where you can relax in the water, floating effortlessly due to its large concentration of salt.
Wake up before dawn to be driven to above 14,000 feet to visit the Tatio Geysers, a geothermal field created by nearby volcanoes. In the cool morning air, you will see huge steam columns rising to heights of nearly 40 feet. Brave visitors can take a dip but keep in mind that it’s around 17 degrees Fahrenheit outside. After your excursion, breakfast is served picnic style. On the way back, you will stop at a small village and likely observe vicuñas, vizcachas and a variety of birds. In the afternoon, head to the Puritama hot springs for a relaxing dip in these scenic warm water pools.
This morning, after breakfast at your hotel you’ll enjoy a tour of Santiago. You’ll visit the city’s historic center where you’ll find the Plaza de Armas, the main cathedral, and the Presidential Palace. You will also have the chance to view the city from the top of Cerro San Cristobal. The afternoon is yours to enjoy at your leisure.
Today you’ll visit two of central Chile’s most popular coastal cities: Valparaiso and Viña del Mar. Valparaiso is a vibrant, colorful collection of hillside houses overlooking the bay. Here you’ll visit the quirky summer house and now museum of Pablo Neruda, one of Chile’s most prolific poets. You’ll then continue to the tranquil Viña del Mar, a popular oceanside retreat for the Santiago elite.
At your convenience, you’ll be transferred to the airport for your international departure. Depending on when you fly you may have one last chance to enjoy Chile’s suave capital.
Santiago & Easter Island
This seven-day Santiago to Easter Island Tour takes you from the sophisticated capital to the mysterious islands, two of Chile’s most popular destinations. …
Starting from $2,990 per person
Uyuni Salt Flats & Machu Picchu
Combine the otherworldly landscapes of the Uyuni Salt Flats in Bolivia with a visit to Peru’s Sacred Valley that culminates in a visit to magical Machu …
Starting from $5,290 per person
Uyuni Salt Flats & Andean Highlights
Experience the best of the Andean highlands on this 11-day Uyuni and Andes Tour, travelling from Bolivia’s capital La Paz to the otherworldly Uyuni Salt …
Starting from $5,990 per person